A minha Lista de blogues

terça-feira, 6 de novembro de 2012

November 2012 Newsletter




www.clever-pants.com
e-mail: portugal@clever-pants.com

It’s getting cold outside, but we’re here to warm you up with our Clever Pants Monthly newsletter.

Feeling adventurous? Then have a look at our idioms on the theme of danger and safety!




idiom (n): an expression, word, or phrase that has a figurative meaning that is separate from the literal meaning or definition of the words of which it is made

To throw caution to the wind
If you throw caution to the wind, you start taking risks and stop worrying about the danger involved.
“I was always so worried about having savings, but I decided to throw caution to the wind and buy myself a nice new car!”

A close shave
This term describes a situation where an accident or a disaster nearly happened. It originates from the days of the cut-throat razor being a risky way to have your beard cut!
“I almost hit the child who ran out in front of my car. It was a close shave.”

To batten down the hatches
A sailing term meaning to close all the windows on a ship in preparation for a storm. When you batten down the hatches, you prepare yourself for danger or a forthcoming difficult period.
“Susan is bringing her four young children to our house
today. Time to batten down the hatches!”

The coast is clear
Another idiom that comes from the world of sailing. To say that the coast is clear means that there is no danger in sight and it is safe to continue your activity.
“Relax! The coast is clear. The director has gone back into his office.”

Look before you leap
This is something you say when advising someone to think carefully about the possible dangers before doing something (leap (v.) is similar to jump and is usually used with off or out of, as in “leap off the edge of the cliff” or “He leapt out of bed”).
“Don't decide too quickly. Look before you leap!”

To be on the safe side
If you do something to be on the safe side, you do it as a precaution, to avoid any risks.
“I think I locked the door but I'll c heck again to be on the safe side.”


Exercise:

Look at the phrases below. Try to complete them with one of the prepositions

At        to         in        for       on       about      into      towards

1. I can’t concentrate __________ what I’m doing because you are talking too much!
2. My parents always complain _____________ how untidy my bedroom is.
3. I think you should apologize_____________ her for what you did.
4. The film is aimed___________ younger people.
5. I aim ____________ pass all of my exams this year.
6. We have to translate this phrase ____________ English.
7. I was thinking ___________ the best way to do the exercise.
8. The reason ____________ the delay was the late arrival of the train.
9. There has been a big decrease__________ the temperature lately.
10. I think my attitude __________ doing homework needs to improve.


Solutions:

1-on
2- about
3-to
4-at
5-to
6-into
7-about 
8-for
9-in
10 towards

© Clever Pants 2012
www.clever-pants.com

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário