A minha Lista de blogues

segunda-feira, 1 de abril de 2013

Idioms ( 3 )


idiom (n): an expression, word, or phrase that has a figurative meaning that is separate from the literal meaning or definition of the words of which it is made


More delicious foody idioms to get your teeth into this month!


Bring home the bacon
Earn the income

“My husband has had to bring home the bacon ever since I broke my leg.”


(Have one's) cake and eat it too
Want more than your fair share or need

“Rick wants to have his cake and eat it too.He wants to be single but he doesn't wantme to date anyone else.”


Cool as a cucumber
Very relaxed

“I thought I was afraid of flying, but I was cool as a cucumber all the way to England.”


Hard nut to crack
Difficult to understand (often a person)

“Angelo is a hard nut to crack when something is bothering him like this.”


Use your noodle 

Use your brain 

“You're going to have to really use your noodle on this crossword puzzle. It's an extra difficult one.”


Big cheese

Very important person (VIP) 

“I thought I was just going to interview the secretary, but they let me talk to the big cheese himself.”


(Have a) bun in the oven (very informal!)

Be pregnant 

“I don't think Jan will come to the bar because she has a bun in the oven.”




© Clever Pants 2012
www.clever-pants.com

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário