Sutton Nicholls, circa 1753
The Great Fire of London began on 2 September 1666 ( 350 years ago) at the bakery of Thomas Farriner on Pudding Lane and spread rapidly west across the City of London. The fire burned for 3 days and destroyed large parts of the City of London, including St Paul´s Cathedral.
As part of the rebuilding work during the reign of Charles II, a monument to the fire was designed by Christopher Wren and Robert Hooke and built between 1671 and 1677. Known as "The Monument", it consists of a large column of Portland stone, topped with a gilt-bronze flaming urn which symbolises the fire. The top of the Monument is reached by a narrow winding staircase of 311 steps.